I have practiced the act of fasting for some years now and have always found it very beneficial spiritually. And although I don’t tend to use it as a weight loss tool, I knew and have seen that it can be effective for that as well. Well, this time I am using it as part of my summer body goal weight loss program (go here) and decided to check out what other health benefits it may have and was very surprised to find it’s more beneficial than I could have imagined. Here are just some of what I found. I hope it helps you like it helped me…
- Fasting refers to refraining from either food, drink, or both at your own will for a definite span of time. It could be done partially for some particular type of food or as total abstention, in which no food or liquid is consumed for a day or a few days.
- Intermittent fasting allows the body to use fat as it’s primary source of energy instead of sugar. Many athletes now use fasting as means to hitting low body fat percentages for competitions.
- Fasting has shown to have a positive effect on insulin sensitivity, allowing you to tolerate carbohydrates (sugar) better than if you didn’t fast. A study showed that after periods of fasting, insulin becomes more effective in telling cells to take up glucose from blood.
- Intermittent fasting gives your digestive system a rest, and this can energise your metabolism to burn through calories more efficiently.
- Think of fasting as a reset button: the longer you fast, the more your body can regulate itself to release the correct hormones, so that you can experience what real hunger is. Not to mention, when your hormones are working correctly, you get full quicker.
- Fasting has shown to improve brain function, because it boosts the production of a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF.)
BDNF activates brain stem cells to convert into new neurons, and triggers numerous other chemicals that promote neural health. This protein also protects your brain cells from changes associated with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- Intermittent fasting improves the immune system because it reduces free radical damage, regulates inflammatory conditions in the body and starves off cancer cell formation.
- Fasting has helped many people feel more connected to life during the practices reading, meditation, yoga and martial arts etc. With no food in the digestive system, this makes room for more energy in the body – the digestive is one of the most energy absorbing systems in the body. Fasting for self-enlightenment, allows us to feel better both consciously and physically. With a lighter body and a clearer mind we become more aware and grateful for the things around us. (My Fav!!!)
- Fasting can help clear the skin because with the body temporarily freed from digestion, it’s able to focus its regenerative energies on other systems.
- These are just some, if you would like to check out the entire article you can go to lifehack.org
Some more interesting sites you might want to check out are listed below…
I found 11 Impressive Benefits Of Fasting that proved to be very interesting at organicfacts.net
Enjoy and Love Always…